Al Nassr has denied reports that Cristiano Ronaldo has a clause in his contract that he will act as an ambassador for Saudi Arabia’s 2030 World Cup bid.
Ronaldo, 37, joined Saudi club Al Nassr in December on a two-and-a-half-year deal worth more than £175m a year.
It was reported that Ronaldo could receive an extra £177 million to support Saudi Arabia’s World Cup bid.
However, Al Nassr said in a statement: “Al Nassr FC would like to clarify that, contrary to what is reported in the news, Cristiano Ronaldo’s contract with Al Nassr does not imply commitments to any World Cup bid.
“His main focus is Al Nassr and working with his teammates to help the club achieve success.”
Ronaldo, a former Manchester United and Real Madrid striker, has yet to make his debut for Al Nassr.
His first appearance in the country could happen in a friendly against Lionel Messi’s Paris Saint-Germain.
The window for submitting bids to host the 2030 World Cup opened last year.
Saudi Arabia is considering a joint bid with Greece and Egypt. The winner will be announced in 2024.
The 2026 World Cup will be held in the United States, Canada and Mexico.
Argentina will be the defending champions after beating France in the 2022 final in Qatar.
New Portugal coach Roberto Martinez has said he plans to sit down with Ronaldo to discuss his international future after he was dropped from the starting line-up at the World Cup.
“Hopefully we can sit down with him and create the best team,” Martinez said in his presentation.
“It’s a day of great satisfaction, but tomorrow we’ll get down to business.”
It seems unlikely that Ronaldo will make it to the 2026 World Cup, as he turns 38 in February and is no longer playing in Europe.
Al Nassr FC would like to clarify that contrary to news reports, Cristiano Ronaldo’s contract with Al Nassr does not entail commitments to any World Cup bids.
His main focus is on Al Nassr and to work with his teammates to help the club achieve success.
— AlNassr FC (@AlNassrFC_EN) January 10, 2023
However, the 2024 European Championship is a possibility as it starts in less than 18 months.
“We are going to start a footballing process to try to know all the players that can reach the national team”, continued Martinez.
“We are going to give every player an opportunity and respect everyone who is already in the national team. Christian is one of them.
“I am very happy to have them by my side. It is a process that we have to face naturally, with responsibility, and we are going to make important decisions for the team”.