Serie A’s Mari stays out for two months after stabbing in supermarket

MILAN, Oct 28 (Reuters) – Serie A footballer Pablo Mari could be out of the game for at least two months after an operation on Friday for stabbings in an attack on an Italian supermarket that left a man dead. .

Milan’s Niguarda hospital said its trauma team had reconstructed two muscles in the 29-year-old Spanish defender’s back on loan to Monza from Premier League club Arsenal.

“This type of muscle injury usually requires two months of rest before you can resume physical activity,” he said, adding that the surgery went well and rehabilitation would follow.

“I was lucky because I saw a person die in front of me,” Mari told Sky News after the attack.

On Friday, he said he and his family were “all right” despite what they had been through the day before.

“We want to thank you for all the messages of support and love we are receiving,” he said on Twitter.

Italian police said on Thursday that a 46-year-old man with mental health problems was detained after the attack at a Carrefour (CARR.PA) supermarket and was under surveillance in a psychiatric ward.

The robber used a kitchen knife available for sale at the supermarket in the city of Assago. A 47-year-old Bolivian citizen who worked at a shopping mall supermarket died, while another employee and four customers were injured.

Carrefour’s Italian arm said the knives would be removed from store windows after talks with Milan prosecutors and that other security measures could be taken.

Il Corriere della Sera newspaper said one of the first people to contain the striker was former Napoli, Inter Milan and Bologna football player Massimo Tarantino.

Tarantino saw the suspect “scream, scream and that’s it”, the 51-year-old retired player said, according to Italian media.

None of the injured are life-threatening.

Monza have asked the Italian football league to postpone Monday’s home match against Bologna as the team is “absolutely in shock”, chief executive Adriano Galliani said.

The game, however, will not be rescheduled, a Serie A source said.

Newly promoted Monza, owned by former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi, are 15th in the 20-team league.

Berlusconi, now a member of Italy’s Senate or Upper House, expressed support for the injured and sent condolences to the victim’s relatives. “A hug to Pablo Mari from ‘my’ Monza”, he added on Instagram.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow us on Social Media
%d bloggers like this: